Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Teeth Extractions


Well, since I haven't gone to regular dentist visits since my early 20's... I've had a few problems with my teeth :(  I've already had 2 pulled out... and today, I had 2 more pulled :(
I wait until I can't take the pain and then I go.
Well, Monday, after my walk, my head/jaw just started hurting constantly!  I made an appointment and was able to get in today!  Yay!  An end in sight from the pain!
He extracted my left side wisdom tooth and my 6th tooth from the front on the right side.
And I have another tooth that needs extraction; the right side wisdom tooth.  I'll wait until I'm good and healed before making that appointment.
As much as I love my teeth and teeth in general (even had many, many dreams about teeth), you may ask why didn't I go to the dentist BEFORE extractions were needed?  Well, because I have no insurance and it can be pretty costly to pay on your own.  Today, it cost us $345!  So, being that Jeremy is making better money, I'm going to try to go regularly from now on.  That next appointment, will be a cleaning as well.  And I will try to get Jeremy to put the kids on his insurance at work (remind him at the right time of the year) so that they can start going too.
I really like this guy I went to, Willie Collins.  He's very nice. :)
Oh, for what it's worth, the teeth I've had pulled, you can't tell unless I open my mouth really wide and show you :)  In other words, they aren't noticeable when I smile which is why I'm okay with them being pulled out.
The experience this time:
Those two x-rays were taken.  Dr. Collins came in, and shot my mouth up with numbing stuff.  Could barely feel it between my mouth and teeth but in the roof of the mouth?  That's just freaky feeling!  You can hear the skin pop when the needle goes in!
Thankfully, the shots work for me and I only feel the pressure of the pulling and hear... that's one of the freaky parts... just listening to the cracking and all...
The wisdom tooth came out before I even realized it!  I was like, "woohoo!  One down, one to go!"
But, of course, it couldn't be THAT easy for that second tooth!!!
Apparently, I have long, strong roots and dense bone.  My jaw didn't want to release my tooth!  He had to work on it.  Had to stop a few times to get different instruments!!!  LOL  OMG!  He ended up having to cut up my roots to take them out one by one (3 altogether)!
Now, funny... a tooth being drilled into/cut into smells just like when hair is on fire...
The only discomfort with this extraction was when he had to use my other teeth as leverage... he had no option since there's teeth on either side and my tooth was so resistant to come out!
So, that's over!  whew!
I gave me an antibiotic prescription because my wisdom tooth had started getting infection in it.  He also gave me some pain medication with codeine; I didn't think I'd really need it but, got it filled anyways just in case.  It's a good thing I did!  As the numbing agents wore off and I was awaiting my prescriptions, I felt like crap!  My head was hurting so much!  Thankfully, I don't think I waited more than 30 minutes and it cost under $20!  So, that was a nice surprise!
I'm sooooooo thankful to have those teeth gone!  That resistant one (the one with the hole in the x-ray) was soooo aggravating!  I'd chew mostly on the left side because of it and always had to pick food out of it!  And then I couldn't floss between that tooth and the others because my tooth would cut the floss! :-/
So yay!
I didn't eat anything today, but drank a banana, pecan, & chocolate almond milk smoothie for dinner :)
Lost 2 lbs... LOL

No comments: